Friday, 4 April 2014

The Year in Books: March Review and April's Choice

As I mentioned in my previous post, my book for March was by one of my favourite author's Katie Fforde - Practically Perfect.  I have to be honest and say I was little disappointed with this book.

Anna, a newly qualified interior designer, decides to risk everything on buying a tiny but adorable cottage so she can renovate it, sell it, and prove to her family that she can earn her own living. But the cottage interior isn’t the only obstacle she has to face; the other one is the arrival of Rob Hunter who puts up more obstacles than the Grand National. Blurb by www.goodreads.com

What this blurb doesn't mentioned is Max, who I found to be an extremely obnoxious man, but what was more off putting was the fact that Anna refused to 'wake up and smell the coffee'.  Her naive attitude just didn't fit in with the rest of her character, or maybe Miss Fforde just made it too obvious for the reader to realise that Max is not 'the One'.  Whilst I appreciate that Anna had held a torch for Max since college, I really don't think she would have bothered with a second date with Max.  She is an independent woman who refuses to ask for any help with renovating the cottage, yet when it comes to Max she appears to completely change character and, in my opinion, become a bit pathetic. I did however like the other characters, her supportive friendship with Chloe is one of the best themes running through the book, and the 'will they won't they' dilemma between Anna and Rob Hunter makes it a light-hearted read.  I just really wanted to skip the parts with Max as it made me want to shout at Anna!
7 out of 10 KDS stars!

Rather than picking April's book it picked me...don't forget to visit my next 'Year in Books' post to read my review of Bring me Home by Alan Titchmarsh, where I will share a little secret with you all! Until then happy reading!

Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
2014


 



3 comments:

  1. looking forward to hearing all about it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I agree with you about the Katie Fforde book. Do you think a writer as well-established as her can eventually 'go off the boil'? I have found it to be so with several authors I have collected over the years... or is it that as I age my tastes change and they no longer hold my interest? And I never realised I was a dilettante!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a Katie Fforde so interested to hear you weren't impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. I try to return the compliment by commenting on your blog. Blessings, Tracy x