Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Leather...of the faux kind!

Many of you crafters will probably be familiar with the faux leather technique shared by the very talented Sheena Douglass.  It's a really easy but effective technique, this was my first attempt!  For those of you that haven't heard of it I shall share the technique here but for a full video tutorial pop over to YouTube and watch Sheena at work.

You will need:

- Kraft Card (I can only assume this will work with any Kraft card but know for certain that it works with the Crafters Companion, Creata and Anna Marie Designs variety.
- A spray bottle of water
- Gylcerine
- Embossing folders (I have used Kirstie Allsopp Vintage Rose)
- Die cutting machine (There are many on the market but I know that the above folder fits through the Joy - my machine of choice - using the white A base and the D cutting mat as it is a smidgen smaller than the black embossing mat.)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (vintage photo is a good choice but it's entirely up to you) and applicator or alcohol markers, or may be try another colouring medium.

Technique

1. Add above half a teaspoon of Glycerine to the spray bottle and then fill with water.  Shake.

2. Spray the Kraft card liberally but do not soak it.  Rub the card with your fingers gently as you don't want to make it fluffy.  Repeat.

3. Once the Kraft card feels pliable screw it up.  Gently unfurl and flatten.

Repeat step 2 and 3.

4. Whilst the Kraft card is still damp place it in the embossing folder and emboss as normal.  Remember the card should not be soaking wet, you should not end up with water running out of your embossing machine just a residue left behind in the folder.

5.  If you wish you can now apply (vintage photo) distress ink.

6.The pieces can be dried on a sunny window sill. or on a not so sunny day a radiator or airer!  (My airer dries more craft things than it does clothes, fortunately I have a very forgiving husband, who ever so occasionally runs out of pants - just kidding!

7. If you are using alcohol markers the card must be dry first.

8. Once coloured and dry you can seal the leather with Spray and Shine or Pebeo bindex as suggested by Sheena Douglass.

Rather than using distress inks I used my Graph It Alcohol Markers and I'm quite pleased with the result.  I used the following pinks 5110, 5115, 5120, 5125, 5130, 5140; purples 6110, 6120, 6130, 6140, 6150, 6175 and the silver glitter shaker marker.


Items used;
Faux Leather from Anna Marie Designs Kraft card
Creata Parchment
Creata Peel-offs

I used my new Pergamano tools to make the parchment butterflies.



I shall be entering these into the following challenges;

Creata Challenge No #28 - Colour Inspiration http://creatachallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/creata-challenge-28-colour-inspiration.html
My Craft Creations Challenge http://craftcreatoins.blogspot.co.uk/p/new-challenge.html
Let's Go Pink Graph It Colour Crazy Challenge http://graphitmarkers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/wk-19-lets-go-pink-graphit-colour-crazy.html



Crafty Blessings to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Really fab bookmarks :-) The butterflies are so cute.
    The f'leathering technique is a really easy one to do with great results.
    Im meeting up with my mate Sheena this weekend where im helping her with a f'leathering w'shop so it will as always be fun, lots of photos to follow too.
    Thanks for entering into the creata challenge. Gill DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy, fab project and a really creative use of your markers The finished bookmarks look stunning. Thanks so much for joining us at Graph'It colouring challenge
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow these are amazing !! really need to have a go at it myself. lol x

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. I try to return the compliment by commenting on your blog. Blessings, Tracy x