Thursday, 14 August 2014

July's Review and August's Choice

My choice for July was made after hearing the author Neil Gaiman talking about it on Radio 4.  Mr Gaiman was commissioned by the Sydney Opera House to read a story for their Graphic Festival.  The story was original written as part of a collection of stories, All New Tales.  Mr Gaiman read the story live to a sell-out crowd whilst Eddie Campbell's illustrations were shown on large screens.  In addition to the story and illustrations music was composed and performed by FourPlay String Quartet.

Of course another reason for choosing this book was because it is set in Scotland. :-)

Published June 2014 by William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins

I immediately searched the library catalogue for this book and when I couldn't find it I put in a request, imagine my delight when just a few weeks later I found it on the New Books shelf at the local library!

The front cover gives a very accurate description of the book's story 'A Tale of Travel and Darkness with Pictures of All Kinds.'

This book is beautifully illustrated.  I wouldn't describe it as a graphic novel more like an adult picture book.  It reads almost like a poem as it has a lovely rhythm about it.  The story is sad and somewhat dark and sinister, but there are humorous moments too.  It is a tale of family, betrayal, murder, treasure and creatures from another realm.  A real fairytale for grown-ups!

10 KDS points from me.

August's choice is another Quick Reads book; Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero - Harriet Evans

1 comment:

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. I try to return the compliment by commenting on your blog. Blessings, Tracy x