Monday, 20 October 2014

September Review & October's Choice

You may remember that I read the first novel by Joanna Sheen & Julia Wherrell "A Sticky End" back in October last year and you can find my review here if you missed.

I was delighted when my mum bought the second book "A Violet Death" for me and this too has been signed by Joanna and Julia.  Some of you may know that Joanna Sheen is also a crafter (one of my favourites) with regular appearances on tv and articles in magazines, and I must say her novels are as beautifully crafted as her cards.

Victoria and Albert live in the fictional Devonshire village of Swaddlecombe, which to me seems like a character of its own.  Joanna & Julia clearly know first hand what it is like to live in a small English village, and Swaddlecombe sounds very much like the little village where I live.  Everybody knows everybody and usually everything, the shop, Post Office and pub are the hub of village gossip and the village show is not just about the taking part!  Fortunately, although there might be a few mysteries in our village  I'm pleased to report there hasn't been a murder!

Publisher: Victoria Farm Press Ltd
11th August 2014
As the first book was so good at embedding you in the village and discovering the quirks of each character reading the second was like catching up with an old friend.  I loved finding out how the renovations are going to Victoria's property, whether her and Albert have become a 'proper' couple and just who's cake will win the village show.

New characters and locations are introduced to the reader via Victoria's research for her latest article and her endeavours to find the murderer, but does she also risk her friendship with Albert?

10 KDS points.

My October read is a novel that received quite a bit of press and one I borrowed from the mobile library (I really shouldn't be borrowing library books I have more than enough books of my own to keep me reading for the next 300 years!) and was recommended to me by the librarian himself, which I guess does unintentionally make it his choice rather than mine but ... for October I shall be reading The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith.  Some of you will already know that this a pseudonym for a very famous author but for those who don't you will have to wait until my October review (or you could ruin the surprise and Google it!)

I would love to hear what book you are curling up with this month.  Autumn Blessings. x



1 comment:

  1. This sounds just my kind of book I'll certainly look out for it I'm currently reading Lisa Jewell The house I grew up in I'm afraid I reading it slowly as I tend to do my reading on holiday . Love and Hugs Caorle x

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. I try to return the compliment by commenting on your blog. Blessings, Tracy x