Thursday, 4 February 2016

Book Review: Baby Talk 1 & 2 by Mike Wells

Mike Wells is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, for me his style is easy-going but engrossing and I have no idea how he manages to combine those two contradictory skills!  You can read my review of Lust, Money & Murder Book 1 here and you can download a copy here.

Book 1 of Baby Talk is free or you can download Book 1 & 2 from all the usual a places for a small fee.  Personally I recommend you download both, well you wouldn't buy half a bar of chocolate, would you!?!?

Photo from Mike Wells Official Website
I don't know about you but I find there are few things scarier than a creepy child...

"In this creepy horror novel, Neal Becker is convinced that his 5 month old baby daughter can talk. But that's impossible...isn't it? Except that Neal didn't really want to get married in the first place and pushed his wife for an abortion.  And now, Baby Natasha knows it. She's out to get Neal, or so he believes.  Join the two in a terrifying battle for survival that will make your blood run cold."  Blurb copied from Mike Wells Official Website 

(Contains Spoilers)
On the one hand I was with Neal, he is seriously creeped out by his baby, who says and does some very weird things, and it's human nature to try to beat or run away from monsters, but part of me just thought maybe Neal needs a mental health assessment!

There were honestly times when I couldn't work out if Natasha really was a baby possessed or if Neal was having a breakdown.  In actual fact Neal is having a breakdown but is it caused by his own guilt and unstable mind?   At points, where Neal restrains Natasha or leaves her alone, I was very torn between right and wrong.  I don't have children but I'm guessing it isn't considered good parenting to tape your baby into the dishwasher, although I have friends who are parents to toddlers who might give more consideration to it on a tough day!   Whilst this is going on there was a voice in my head saying she's going to escape, don't let her escape Neal.  On the whole I was completely divided who did I really want to save?

There is one thought from Neal that really sums up the layers of this story "One fleeting moment of extra pleasure in exchange for a lifetime of success and happiness."  Every action has a consequence but just how much of a consequence might be down to how guilty we feel about our actions.

Baby Talk is also available in audio format.

I am currently listening to Forbidden 1,2 & 3 and I must say that I absolutely loath Eleanor Sotherby, which I think is the general idea, keep your eyes peeled for the review.

* The End* 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very spooky I think I would scare myself reading it x

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. I try to return the compliment by commenting on your blog. Blessings, Tracy x